Sunday, November 30, 2003

I'm BEAT!! We had a great time, the kids loved the show.

Johnny had a basketball game in the morning. We took off right after the game and caught a train (after a sushi and Dunkin Donuts stop, LOL)

We figured we'd take the train in and stay between 5th and 7th Aves and 32nd and 34th St., basically the Herald Square/Macy's area. It was neat showing the kids where the Thanksgiving Parade had just been.

We went to eat at Houlihan's in the Empire State Building, HOWEVER, no one told many sources of information that I checked that it closed sometime in the last year, so it was off to find a place to eat. We walked by one Irish pub and John said to keep walking, and then we hit another Irish pub and decided to stop in. We just had the basic pub food.....burgers, soup, fried calamari appetizer, beer, etc..... After our meal, our server told us about their VIP pass to the Empire State Building and that if we would like to go up and bypass the queue and the fare, to talk to the barman after our show. I love going to places were the workers are authentic. Johnny wondered why he said "three" as "tree" and I told him that was all part of the Irish Brogue.

So, after our eats, we walked back to Madison Square Garden and went into A Christmas Carol. The children loved the show, but unfortunately, there were more adults than kids inside, so Tommy ended up sitting on my lap so he could see. Johnny and Steffi had clear views to the stage, until the people who were supposed to sit in front of them came in late, about 1/2 way through the show. They could still see, but had to adjust. And, I was very pleased, as the seats we had were still good enough to be snowed on in the finale!! We were concerned that we would just miss it, but alas it was fine.

So, we walked back to the pub and I exchanged my driver's license for a VIP pass with the barman. We were up at the top of the building in a flash and didn't have to wait 2 hrs and 45 min outside before we even were allowed in to wait to buy tickets.

I thought Tommy was gonna lift off the top of the building in excitement, LOL. My husband, however, was none too enthused, especially when we walked onto the west side of the building and the wind was THISCLOSE to blowing people off, LOL. I took some pictures, but my hair was always blowing in the way. John gets very overprotective in the city. He's always been that way with me, but with the kids it was that much worse.

I do admit that as we looked up to the top of the building, I pictured what it would be like to see a full size plane crashing into the side :-(, and when we walked down 6 flights of stairs from the 86th floor that I pictured what it would have been like on 9-11 in the twin towers..... Tommy even mentioned various twin towers things throughout our visit. I guess somethings will never go away.

Just as we ended our ESB visit, we walked back to Penn Station in time to catch a train back home. We got home around 10:30 and had to get up REAL early as Tommy's Vacation Bible School class had jobs at Mass today. Tommy got to light the Christ Candle, and then proceeded to trip and fall coming off the altar, LOL.

John just left for hunting in PA, we just ate lunch, and I think I'll be checking out the inside of my bed to make sure it's okay to sleep in tonight, LOL Sweet dreams!

BTW, if you are ever in NY, you might want to eat at Jack Demsey's Pub -- 33rd between 6th and 7th, LOL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home