Monday, December 23, 2002

Wow......what a week it has been. First, on Tuesday, we find out that John's college roommate, who he lived with all 4 years was found dead (by an apparent heart attack on the previous Saturday afternoon) John and I went to the wake and he was very upset by someone his age dying from a sudden thing like that.

Then, on Thursday, there was a news bulletin on the online version of the paper that stated that a off-duty officer's car had veered off Rt. 80 and crashed......imagine my horror when I realized that the officer was the husband of a childhood dancing friend of mine. We haven't danced together in about 4 years, but my mom sees her frequently, and we run into her at the local carnival each summer. I attended that wake last night. After waiting about 35 minutes in the cold, while various fire departments and police departments had *priority*, we were herded past the casket to Jackie, his wife, and his family, who were all in a receiving line. Oh, the feeling was absolutely horrible.......and to see the little flowers that had a Daddy banner on it... I think we talked more to her parents, as Jackie was just wiped out. There were only about 10 chairs in the whole place for immediate family, and you were herded back out when you were done paying respects. All I could think about for the past 48 hours, and all last night while trying to go to sleep was how Jackie can deal with this, and her two young children.....I feel horrible that I am trying to strengthen our friendship because of this, but it's one of those things that once people start having families and moving out of a close radius, we get lazy and stop initiating contact.....again, out of pure laziness......I want to help her so badly, whether it's watching her kids so she can do errands, or whatever.... There are road closures all over the town today, in anticipation for a LARGE turnout for the actual funeral. I can't even imagine telling my 4 year old that daddy went to work, and is never coming home.....

Then, yesterday, we were told that John's great uncle has passed away.......he was 84 and was diagnosed with cancer about 18 months ago.....there will be a memorial service on Saturday night. John was remembering him fondly yesterday.

I guess that is our *3* that death comes in.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home