Sunday, October 05, 2003

Yesterday we had a REALLY fun day, despite it being about 50°, raw (as a lot of people were describing it) and wet.

Our cub pack planned a camping trip to a place about 20 minutes away. John had everything packed on Friday night except the cooler. It was decided that only he and Johnny would be staying overnight, but all of us would hang out until bedtime.

We started off with a 9 am soccer game for Steph and a 9am church workshop for Johnny and I. We came home, changed clothes and were ready to pull out when I looked at the answering machine and saw we had two messages. They wanted to cancel the trip. My eagle scout husband said.....I'm going.....we're going...tell them we're going in case anyone changes their mind.

I'm glad we went, and I think it worked out "nicer" that they didn't, LOL.

It really stopped raining and the only wetness coming down was from blowing trees. Once the campfire got started we had a place to keep us warm, when we did get a little chilly, oh, and the best part was that they had reserved sites with Adirondack shelters, so he was able to set up our 6 man hexagonal tent in the shelter. For those who we went camping with in August, who had the super-duper 3 room tents, etc.....they would have had to set up outside, so an old dome tent does still come in handy.

During setup time the kids saw "something" in the woods. We first were afraid that it was a bear, but it was just a beautiful deer coming for a walk. That kept the kids entertained for a good 1/2 hour. They would hide behind trees and followed the deer until someone, of course it was Tommy, cracked a branch and the deer took off. I got a really pretty picture of the deer straight ahead of us in a clearing, staring at us.

I cooked hot dogs for lunch, shuttled Johnny to his 3pm soccer game and when I came back, one other family had decided to join us. She is a REALLY good friend of mine, so I wasn't surprised. They had the kids playing in one of our unused shelters...great idea.....why didn't I think of that, LOL.

John cooked brats and garlic/herb rice for dinner and then we made a cake (the link is down right now.....I'll fix later) It was DELICIOUS. The kids played Trouble and Chess. My friend's husband bought out his guitar and we sang. We made S'mores, watched the kids put on a play, and then it was 8:30, and I left.

It's now 9am on Sunday, and I am expecting them home soon. I'm sure they woke up at the crack of dawn, LOL, and John was planning on doing eggs, bacon, sausage, muffins and coffee for campfire breakfast. Hopefully there was no bear encounters overnight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home