Tuesday, January 07, 2003

I never went into labor naturally, with any of the three kids, but this was my first.

I was admitted on 1/5 at 6pm to try to get labor started by softening my cervix.....about 9 pm on 1/6, they were calling it quits as nothing was happening, and if labor still didn't start mid-day on the 7th, I was having a section. I was already 10 days late (due on Christmas).

It had been snowing all day, the 1st of that winter's 17 snowstorms. The doctor had been delivering babies all day, and just when he wanted to go home, (when they called it quits for me), he couldn't leave the hospital. My husband had been there all day, and he too, couldn't leave.....they had an extra bed that they allowed him to sleep in and I guess the doctor just stayed in his quarters, especially in case something kicked in for me and I was ready to deliver.....

Early morning on the 7th, they started a pitocin drip again, and labor started shortly after. After a long labor, I delivered a 10lb 9oz baby at 10:02 pm. Shortly after delivering, I was told that if I could have *waited* another hour and 58 minutes, my son could have been born on my husband's favorite music singer's birthdate, Elvis Presley, LOL. Like I would have wanted to be in labor another 2 hours!!!

The family all braved the roads to see the first grandchild shortly after birth, and every one got there and back home safe and sound.

And, that extra bed was wheeled into my room and my husband slept over once again...

HAPPY 9th BIRTHDAY JOHNNY!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home