Friday, March 21, 2003

We also had our ortho consults on Wednesday. Here is a copy of the email I sent to our uncle, who is an orthodontist in Boston

So we went for our ortho consults today.

I'll say that he was EXTREMELY nice.....I really liked him. He did tell me that he is a believer in one-time treatment and doesn't like to work in phases, but that's him.

Johnny has a bilateral cross-bite. For right now, we are going to wait until some permanent molars come in. He is in for a 6 mo. recall.

He also has a condition that occurs when he is swallowing that pushes out the front teeth, leaving a gap between the upper and lower teeth. Apparently, I have it slightly, but on the right side, and Steffi has it as well, but is not as apparent, as her front teeth are still coming in. (Central incisors, I think is the proper name...)

Anyway......the condition starts with an "m", but he suggested going to therapy for that to train the muscles to stop pushing against the back of the teeth and this way when ortho work is started that problem will be fixed.

Found the card....it is for myofunctional therapy.


They are supposed to go back for 6 mo. recalls. John may get work started then, Steffi is early, but he wants to keep an eye on her tongue thrusting.

And of course, John thinks the therapy is absolutely unnecessary, so I have to have a talk with him, as he always feels things are unnecessary and then I am the one who has to face the person/doctor/teacher and tell them that we chose not to go to get this problem fixed. I'm glad that I won out with Tommy's eyes, and I have been collecting a lot of information on the web about the tongue thing, so we shall see........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home